I need two responses/reply for two different students.
By Estefany Gutierrez
What is Communication?
◦ Communication is the act of exchanging
information, ideas, feelings, opinions and emotions
through speech, writing, and our behavior.
◦ The process of communication involves the sender
who is sending the message across to the receiver
in a specific manner.
◦ Communication results in giving feedback, your
reaction to the message received from the sender.
◦ In communication there are filters, which affect
the sender’s way of getting the message across
to the receiver. The sender’s message can
encounter many filters before the receiver gets
◦ Some examples of communication filters are
1. Language Barriers
2. Cultural Barriers
3. Emotional Barriers
4. Gender Barriers
5. Lack of interest
An example of a communication filter is the Language/ Culture
barrier. For example, if English is the person’s second language, it
will be difficult for that individual to comprehend what higher
management/ supervisor is trying to communicate to them. This
can arise many issues to the individual as well as not complying
with rules and protocols of their workplace.
When communicating it is
important, we use both
verbal and nonverbal
It is important we
communication, so we
understand and interpret
the message received
• Examples of nonverbal
Ways of Improving Communication Skills
There are different types of communication styles
◦ Emotive Style (spontaneous behavior, naturally persuasiveness, extroversion
◦ Directive Style ( serious attitude, expresses strong opinions, may seem not caring or
◦ Reflective Style ( expresses opinions in a disciplined manner, may be quiet and not
easy to get to know, prefers orderliness)
◦ Supportive Style (listens attentively, avoids using power, friendly persuasion, expresses
decisions in a thoughtful manner, low-key in decision making roles)
◦ COMMUNICATION STYLE IS NOT OUR PERSONALITY.
COMMUNICATION STYLE IS ONLY A PART OF OUR
◦ WE CAN CHANGE OUR COMMUNICATION STYLE TIME TO
◦ OUR PERSONALITY IS STABLE. WE ARE WHO WE ARE!
By: Michelle Gil
”Each person has a unique
communication style” Reece, B.,
Reece, M.Effective Human Relations:
Interpersonal And Organizational
Applications. [VitalSource Bookshelf].
▪ In week 3 I learned that there is multiple ways of communicating and being
able to flex into different types of style. Any style that one has may show
what someone is like, but they will have different personas because you are
able to flex into different communication styles. I also learned not to ”read
a book by its cover” type of thing, I from now on will walk into meeting
someone with an open minded and not read them.
My two communication styles are: Supportive and Reflective.
When it comes to the Supportive communication style I
communicate attentively, listen attentively, and deliberately
express my decision. I enjoy being with a team, but I tend to seek
security and being able to rely on that person. I also am very
supportive, so people tend to open up to me and feel comfortable
sharing their feelings and aspect of their own life.
Reflective style allows me to be direct and straightforward. While
being a reflective style, I can control the situation and put my
feelings aside. When being detailed and precise,
Being able to have both of these styles allows me to focus on both
myself and the people around me. To be able to listen and show
my support is what allows me to be a good person and be the
person one needs when in feeling vulnerable and need that
support and push. I use both of these styles in my life on a daily
basis, specially when it comes to my field of work. I have to have
a lot of compassion and be able to listen to be the supportive
person that my position entitles me to be.
▪ Learning about my communication
styles allows me to know about myself
and be able to use my knowledge to
understand others. I believe that
knowing my styles will influence my
future because I plan to continue to
help as many people as I possibly can
as I move my way up the latter in my
line of profession. Being able to
understand individuals in a sensitive
situation allows me to use my
communication styles to lend a
listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, to be
supportive, and to be direct in what
▪ I am a communicator that sometimes gets too invested because
of my supportive style. I always want to help someone and
support them, so that is when my style comes in, I listen, I rerun
people’s problems through my mind to understand them, and I
want to put myself in a person shoes. I listen patiently, I relate to
others warmly, and I tend to feel other emotions to be able to
▪ Be direct
▪ Be straightforward
▪ Good observer
▪ Seek questions and answers
▪ Learn from what I am being told
▪ Ask others for feedback and improve
▪ Always looking to gain more knowledge
▪ Be reflective and learn
Purchase answer to see full